why i Ride & Race
As a kid, I would stand on the sidelines and cheer on my dad as he competed in crits and road races. He’d tell me stories of his trip across the country on two wheels and I’d listen with wide eyes. When I was 10, my brother started BMX racing and it didn’t take me long to get off the bleachers and onto the track. I didn’t know it then, but when I purchased that Gary Fisher Lush Rush with my carefully hoarded allowance it changed my life forever. 19 years later, and I’m still hooked on bikes.
Although racing has ebbed and flowed with life, I’ve always felt drawn to compete. Following 2 successful collegiate racing seasons and a few years focusing on my career, in 2016 I found myself in the position to purchase a downhill bike again. So, I bought a pro license. I had a ton of fun and surprised myself by getting 2nd at the Pro GRT in Snowshoe, WV in gnarly conditions against stiff competition. At the start of 2017 - with my sights set on winning - I got a coach and have had a blast taking the season one race at a time.
When it comes to racing, my motto is: have fun, go fast! I race to see new places; to get outside; to feel free. I race to challenge myself; and to push the limits of my own body and defeat the voices in my head telling me I can’t.
why i coach
Feb, 2013: I had been racing for 15 years, but as I headed to Ray’s MTB Park for Women’s Weekend, I was nervous. I had taught myself how to jump, manual and ride downhill, always surrounded by testosterone. Luckily, my fears disappeared when I walked through the door. I spent the rest of the weekend shredding with 200 other awesome women. When I returned home I was amped, not only on my own riding progression, but on getting more chicks on bikes.
One month and a trip out to Los Angeles, CA later, I had accepted a job to work with Liv, spreading stoke for women’s cycling across the Western United States. I spent two years riding and working out west, got my PMBIA coaching certification in Whistler, and began teaching women how to become more in-control and confident on two wheels.
When I started working from home in NC two years ago, I knew I wanted to continue to pursue my love for coaching and help get more people in my community STOKED on mountain biking. Spoked, LLC was born from that passion and the need for MTB instruction in the Southeast. When it comes to coaching, I see no limit to the opportunities.
Caroline's 2017 Stats
Pro Race Results
- 1st Pro GRT #1: Windrock, TN
- 2nd US Open DH: Mountain Creek, NJ
- 2nd Pro GRT #3: Beech Mountain, NC
- 2nd USAC National Championships, DS: Snowshoe, WV
- 8th USAC National Championships, DH: Shovwshoe, WV
- 10th Crankworx Air DH: Whistler, BC
- 3rd Crankworx Dual Slalom: Whistler, BC
- 2nd Southeast Enduro Series #1: Beech Mountain, NC
- USAC DH Overall Ranking: 5th
- USAC DS Overall Ranking: 4th
- Coach and owner of Spoked, LLC, 3rd season
- PMBIA Level 2 Certified Coach
- Impacted 950+ students in 2017
- Spoked hosted 10 clinics in NC & TN (including DH, Enduro, Pumptrack, Beginner and Intermediate clinics)
- Spoked also worked with several clients privately on a regular basis